Only two years after Vancouver was incorporated as a city, Stanley Park is opened by Mayor David Oppenheimer on September 27th, 1888.
John Montgomery, park gardener at the time, “plants” the Rock Garden. To accommodate park visitors construction begins on the Stanley Park Pavilion.
Otto Moberg, architect for the CP Rail chalets and lodges in Banff and Lake Louise, designed the Pavilion in a Swiss-chalet style using fieldstone and wood.
The Stanley Park Pavilion opens to the public and quickly becomes the central meeting and socializing area within the entire Park.
Construction of the 8.8-kilometre (5.5 mi) seawall and walkway around the park began in 1917 and took several decades to complete.
After one and a half years and a cost of $5,873,837.17, the Lions Gate Bridge, officially known as First Narrows Bridge, is opened to the public.
Vancouver Parks Board Commissioners Celebrate 50th Golden Jubilee Banquet Commemorating: Dedication of Stanley Park by Lord Stanley of Preston Oct. 29, 1889
On October 19, 1889 a letter was written (we’re not sure by whom) promising a suitable monument of Governor General Lord Stanley to commemorate the naming and dedication of Stanley Park. The city archivist, J.S. Matthews, discovered that letter in 1950, more than 60 years after it was written, and realized the promise had not been fulfilled. So he began a fund-raising campaign which took another 10 years to commission the work and was finally unveiled in 1960.