Only two years after Vancouver was incorporated as a city, Stanley Park is opened by Mayor David Oppenheimer on September 27th, 1888
John Montgomery, park gardener at the time, “plants” the Rock Garden. To accommodate park visitors construction begins on the Stanley Park Pavilion.
The Stanley Park Pavilion opens to the public and quickly becomes the central meeting and socializing area within the entire Park.
After one and a half years and a cost of $5,873,837.17, the Lions Gate Bridge, officially known as First Narrows Bridge, is opened to the public.